Mold: A Common Allergen and Asthma Trigger
Mold and Health
- Mold growth affects indoor air quality, triggering asthma attacks and other dangerous allergic reactions.
- 27.5% of Philadelphia school children screened positive for asthma in 2012, more than double the national average.
Causes of Mold
- Moisture from plumbing, roof and steam leaks
- Lack of climate control in buildings.
Mold in Philly Public Schools
- In the summer of 2017, nearly 25,000 square-feet of mold was found on carpets, desks, chairs, walls, ventilation system in Munoz-Marin Elementary School (3rd & Ontario).
- $400K was designated for “emergency clean up” yet the root cause of the contamination was not addressed.
- In October 2017, JB Kelly Elementary School closed for a week due to a massive mold outbreak.
- These are not isolated incidents.